Friday, July 13, 2012

Most memorable moments in TV history?

Blog Post #11
Osama bin Laden, JFK, and O.J. Simpson: what is the most memorable TV moment? 
JULY 12, 2012

BY ANGELA DAIDONE
 NEWJERSEYNEWSROOM.COM

Television viewers rated the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks as the most memorable moment of the past 50 years, a research study concluded.

 The survey, conducted by Sony Electronics and the Nielsen television research company, ranked TV moments for their impact, including if viewers remembered where they were, who they were with and whether they discussed the events, Newsday reports.

 The coverage of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 was the second-ranked moment. By contrast, the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963, which ranked high for people over the age of 55, came in at No. 15 among all groups.

 The other biggest TV events, in order, were the 1995 verdict in O.J. Simpson’ murder trial, the explosion of the Challenger space shuttle in 1986 and the death of Osama bin Laden in 2011.

 Sony executives said they anticipated entertainment events like the appearance of the Beatles on “The Ed Sullivan Show” and the “Who shot J.R.?” episode of “Dallas” to be among top vote getters. But the survey showed that coverage of news events made the biggest impact for viewers.

 The survey also showed that men and women agreed on the top three TV events – Sept. 11, Katrina and the Simpson trial – but their interests varied dramatically after that. Here is a list of the survey’s findings:

BUT BEFORE YOU READ THAT, there is a reason I'm presenting this as part of my column. I will give you what you want to really want to know, WHAT I THINK of these moments. a Cool Black Mad Commentary if you will. My "commentary" will be in blue. If I don't comment I was too young or didn't care.


 TV'S MOST MEMORABLE MOMENTS 


 1. Sept. 11 terrorist attacks (2001) (More on that later)


 2. Hurricane Katrina (2005) (Watched the whole sorted affair on CNN)


 3. The O.J. Simpson verdict (1995) (Watched it with my mom. She got a kick out of what O.J.'s mom said after the verdict. Can't remember what it was, but she loved it)


 4. The Challenger space shuttle explodes (1986) (I was at middle school lunch. Some geek from the Audio Visual club walked by and told someone at my table that "the shuttle exploded" I thought he was talking about some geek school model of a space shuttle not the actual shuttle)


  5. Death of Osama bin Laden (2011) (I was home watching The Celebrity Apprentice when NBC News broke into coverage. Below is a pic I took with my cell phone and posted on Facebook)
Facebook caption: 5/1/11 Proudest Day Ever!

 6. The O.J. Simpson White Bronco chase (1994) (I was at work when some people started talking about it. We didn't have a TV)


 7. The Japanese earthquake and tsunami (2011) (Don't recall


 8. Columbine school shooting (1999) (Don't recall


 9. BP oil spill in Gulf of Mexico (2010) (Don't recall


 10. Princess Diana's funeral (1997) (Don't recall


 11. Death of Whitney Houston (2012) (I think I was at work


 12. Capture and execution of Saddam Hussein (2006) (Don't recall


13. Barack Obama Election Night speech (2008) (I was home. I wrote about it at the 'Nother Brother Entertainment blog here )


 14. Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton (2011) (I was at work. Watched some of it on the Internet live feed)


 15. John F. Kennedy assassination (1963) 


 16. Oklahoma City bombing (1995) (Don't recall


 17. Bush/Gore disputed election (2000) (Wasn't really interested in this. Ridiculous)


 18. Los Angeles riots, Rodney King beating (1992) (Watched news coverage, can't recall the network. Probably several. I like to see what different networks are doing during major events sometimes.)


 19. Casey Anthony murder trial verdict (2011) (Wasn't really interested in this. Ridiculous)


20. John F. Kennedy funeral (1963) 
_____________________________________________________

About that number one, I wrote a special piece at the 'Nother Brother Entertainment blog about September 11th. Read it here


Related Link
The Washington Post has a photo slide show of these moments here







No comments: