Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Rick Ross - God Forgives I Don't - Cool Black Review







If albums had “Side Bs” anymore this album’s Side B would be the best. Exactly halfway through the Deluxe Edition’s sixteen tracks is where the album really takes off with the song “Hold Me Back”…and I even didn’t like that track at first.

The third single "Hold Me Back" produced by G5 was released on July 2nd, 2012 and when I read that I thought “That dumbass single?” The hook alone I thought was ignorant, but I’ll admit it grew on me. Shrug.

The next track “911” on first impression is the one that I thought THIS is what I’ve been waiting all album for! Until then I thought the album was a yawn. The orchestration "Maybach Music IV" is really good, but I just wasn’t feeling it. Even a cameo by L.A. Reid doesn’t help it.

"Maybach Music IV" (featuring Ne-Yo) was one of four tracks produced by J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League that made the album, the others being  "Sixteen" (featuring André 3000), "Ten Jesus Pieces"(featuring Stalley) and "Triple Beam Dreams" (featuring Nas). All four tracks have great production and sound really great, but only about half of them succeed as complete songs. Those two being "Sixteen" (featuring André 3000) and "Triple Beam Dreams" (featuring Nas).

On May 15, 2012, Rick Ross released the first single from the album, titled "Touch'N You" featuring Usher produced by Rico Love and I know why because it’s HOT. The hook written by Rico Love and sung by Usher perfectly blend with Love’s production.

Less than a week later on May 21, 2012, Rick Ross gave Funkmaster Flex the green light to release the first street single, "So Sophisticated" featuring Meek Mill and that song is also HOT. It only makes good business to release great tracks as singles even it’s only to “increase hype” like the single below.

Although not a single, 3 Kings was promotionally released before the album, to increase hype. 

I DID NOT like the much hyped ‘3 Kings”. The first rapper said he was Dr. Dre, but it hardly sounds like him. He straight stole someone else’s flow and it doesn't sound right for him. He sounds like a poser. The other “kings’ on this track do nothing to help it either.

The one Pharrell song to make the album "Presidential" has a great “doo wop chant” that makes the song, but the weak vocals by Elijah Blake kill it.

The absolute stand out track on GFID, as it is being called for short, is “Diced Pineapples” produced by Cardiak the FIRST time I heard it I thought it was an instant classic.

God Forgives I Don’t isn't a hot album, but it is a good album especially “Side B”.

Below is which of the individual tracks I thought were HOT

1. "Pray for Us"  (interlude)
2. "Pirates"
3. "3 Kings" (featuring Dr. Dre and Jay-Z)
4. "Ashamed"
5. "Maybach Music IV"(featuring Ne-Yo) warm
6. "Sixteen" (featuring André 3000) HOT
7. "Amsterdam"
8. "Hold Me Back" HOT  
9. "911"  HOT
10. "So Sophisticated" (featuring Meek Mill) HOT
11. "Presidential" (featuring Elijah Blake)
12. "Ice Cold" (featuring Omarion)
13. "Touch'N You" (featuring Usher) HOT
14. "Diced Pineapples" (featuring Wale and Drake) HOT
15. "Ten Jesus Pieces"(featuring Stalley) warm

Deluxe Edition Bonus Tracks
16. "Triple Beam Dreams" (featuring Nas) HOT
17. "Rich Forever" (featuring John Legend) HOT

Written by Cool Black with some information from Wikipedia

No comments: