Saturday, April 13, 2013

Jackie Robinson 'SportsCentury' [VIDEO]

Galvanized by the terrific film 42, I wanted to know more about the legend Jackie Robinson.


To be clear, of course I knew about Jackie Robinson, but nothing in depth until now. Like many I am a slave to the media and I'm more liable to see a movie about a public figure before I'll read about them. I HAVE read books about public figures, I'm just more liable to see a movie about them.

No movie though no matter how good will encapsulate a person or subject and if you are so inclined about the person or subject you should ALWAYS seek more information.

As I said in my review of the film about the Tuskegee Airmen, Red Tails
It’s a MOVIE, it’s made to entertain not be your only basis for history. Historical films like this are good for just that the entertainment and maybe it’ll spark broader interest where you can go to your local library or in this day and age Google and Wikipedia. Even those sources aren’t the authority, but good places to begin your research.
So taking my own advice I am seeking more information on Mr. Robinson and presenting such to you below. HUGE THANKS to Reelblack for hipping me to this episode of ESPN Classic's SportsCentury on YouTube about Jackie Robinson. Below is the whole episode in seven parts.






RELATED
My Review of '42'


Opening Weekend Numbers for '42'

No comments: