Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Day in the Life of Shonda Rhimes

Shonda Rhimes

Shonda Rhimes: What Did You Do Today?

After creating ''Grey's Anatomy'' and ''Private Practice,'' Rhimes is launching ''Scandal,'' another drama for ABC which stars Kerry Washington as the powerful head of a Washington, D.C., crisis-management firm. Here's how the busy producer spent a recent Tuesday—Lynette Rice, Entertainment Weekly, Published March 23, 2012 


4 a.m. Wake up in a panic I was worrying about a big Owen [Kevin McKidd] and Cristina [Sandra Oh] scene we're shooting today on Grey's. I changed it the night before, and I was wondering whether I should change it again.

9:30 a.m. Get in car, go to work I'm lucky because I'm driven by a Teamster. I watched a director's cut of Grey's. It's the quietest space I have, because no one is asking questions. Sometimes [my driver] will take the long way so I can finish watching a cut.

9:49 a.m. Send tweet about new ABC drama @shondarhimes: ''Anyone seen the promos for Missing? Ashley Judd looks badass.''

11 a.m. Discuss hair color of a guest actor on Grey's Somebody we had used before changed her hair color, but we can't dye it, so she may have to wear a wig. This is my day!

11:55 a.m. Talk with costume designer Mimi Melgaard about Ellen Pompeo's wardrobe It's a huge spoiler, so I can't say [too much]. But it was about whether Meredith needed a particular accessory to go with her outfit.

1:45 p.m. Read email from ABC casting exec approving Torchwood's John Barrowman as costar in Rhimes' fall pilot Gilded Lilys He's wonderful. I have an irrational love for him. I feel like I want to lean on his shoulder. The poor man may have to get a restraining order against me.

2:20 p.m. Meeting in Grey's writers' room We do a table read and I give notes. This can last two hours.

4 p.m. Discuss a Grey's prop It's the Harper Avery award, a big legendary award given to a surgeon on the show. Apparently it was too shiny and reflective.

4:15 p.m. Trade emails with Kerry Washington I'm so excited about Scandal, and she is too!

4:20 p.m. Check in with Grey's and Private Practice editors We have a cool editing bay that shows up directly on my office and home TVs.

5 p.m. Head over to Grey's soundstage I went to watch a controversial scene with Sandra and Kevin. I also emailed Sara Ramirez [who plays Callie Torres] about interesting bone surgeries. We are both so into them.

5:40 p.m. Set playdate for daughter, approve press releases for Grey's and Private Practice Between the script ABC reads and what we shoot, the story line sometimes changes.

6:30 p.m. Phone call with assistant before driver arrives She tells me what I need to take home with me for the evening. I'll have a Private Practice cut delivered to my house, where I'll go drink a glass of wine.

Cool Black's Mad Commentary: That 4:20 p.m. check in is so GANGSTA!


_________________________________

See ALL of our posts about Scandal by clicking the show logo below




No comments: