Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Ranking the Solo Avengers Movies

Blog Post #9


Before this year’s release of The Avengers on May 4, 2012 there were FIVE solo Avengers pictures and I must say first and foremost that I liked ALL of the solo pics. I definitely have my favorites and because I KNOW you want to know, I will rank them from least to best.


5. Iron Man 2 (2010) I'm not one of those people who didn't like IM2. I thought it was good and fun. I also personally didn't miss Terence Howard at all. I thought Don Cheadle slid right into the role, vacated by Howard, with great chemistry with Robert Downey Jr. Mickey Rourke was a cool villain, but Sam Rockwell was a riot! The ending climax felt a little short, but it was cool. Again a lot of people didn’t like IM2, but I did.


4. I liked Thor (2011) a lot too. The Asgard scenes were fantastic and Tom Hiddleston as Loki was the perfect villain. The stuff on Earth was fun and a nice intro of Thor to Earth. The end was kind of anti climatic as what we got what was essentially a robot blowing up a one horse town. It was all a nice origin story and prequel to Avengers as was intended. 



3. I wasn't expecting much from The Incredible Hulk (2008). Like pretty much…everyone I didn’t like the last time the Hulk was on the big screen (2003’s Hulk) and I went to see it because nothing else new was out at the time and I thought why not. This picture far exceeded my expectations and was really good. Instead of the bloated drama of 2003’s Hulk we got a Hulk who had a worthy adversary and the end? It could have been called ‘Hell Up In Harlem 2’ because it was badass! We finally got what were looking for in a Hulk picture, “Hulk Smash!”. The fight at the end was truly awesome and ended the picture on a high note. Almost made it my number two solo Avengers pic and still may upon further viewing.




2. When I heard that Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) would be set in the past I thought *YAWN* I'll wait until he catches up to the future, but I was pleasantly surprised. They took what was essentially an origin story and infused it with good ole fashioned nostalgia and action. The movie was a little long, but they had a lot of story to tell and in the end I thought they told it well. This movie had the most heart of all the solo Avengers pics and you could really feel for Steve Rogers before and after he turned into Captain America through this underdog piece. Another nice prequel to Avengers and a great introduction to the leader of the Avengers.




1. Iron Man (2008) I’ll join the consensus and say that THIS is the best Avengers solo pic. I just finished re-watching it and it is everything that you expect an origin story to be. Jeff Bridges was a really great villain and of course Robert Downey Jr. did a wonderful job at creating an intriguing character that would start off the whole Avengers franchise. 

The Avengers panorama poster released by Marvel at Comic-Con 2011
I want to give props to Marvel Studios who announced plans to develop The Avengers in April 2005 with this plan on developing all of the solo Avengers in their own pictures to eventually “assemble” them in one film.

In order of release:
1. Iron Man (May 2, 2008)
2. The Incredible Hulk (June 13, 2008)
3. Iron Man 2 (May 7, 2010)
4. Thor (May 6, 2011)
5. Captain America: The First Avenger (July 22, 2011)

So far the Avengers is a great franchise with SIX pictures (including this year’s The Avengers) that are all enjoyable and great. Marvel Studio’s plan was an ambitious idea to say the least, but a plan I think has succeeded! In the words of Marvel Comic's founder Stan Lee, “Excelsior!”

2016 UPDATE
November 7, 2016, The Hollywood Reporter

Doctor Strange opened to a far better-than-expected $85 million in North America over the weekend, despite featuring a lesser-known superhero in Stephen Strange, played by Benedict Cumberbatch. And overseas, where the pic began rolling out less than two weeks ago, the Marvel Studios and Disney movie has earned $240.4 million for a rowdy 13-day global haul of $325 million.



RELATED
The Greatest Avengers Story I Ever Read


Additional Links
CLICK the movie posters above to check out the Wikipedia page for that film.




No comments: